Wastelands Radio Show - Episode 22 - Troma - The Toxic Avenger
WASTELANDS - An Australian B-grade, Punk Rock, Street Trash online radio show Hosted by long time partners in slime Adam (085c3n3) Obscene and Mark-O -Mark, pondering punk oddities, trashy treasures, street levelness, life, culture and stuff.
In this episode Adam and Mark take a short stroll through Tromaville, the home of New Jersey's greatest hero and location of Troma's greatest contribution to cinema - The Toxic Avenger. Join them as they discuss this genuinely funny poke at superheroes and monster movies, delivered with a healthy dose of cheap gags, splattery special effects, and T&A.
The Toxic Avenger, set in Tromaville, NJ, is about Melvin Ferd, a meek nerd, who works as a janitor at a health club. While he is of no threat to anyone, psychotic health club patrons: Bozo, Slug, Wanda, and Julie bully the kid because he doesn’t look pretty like them, and isn’t as smart as they are.
When the four aren’t tormenting little Melvin, they are busy screwing each other, or running over little boys on bicycles with their bitchen Camero; squishing their little heads. It’s the only way Bozo is able to relieve the stress of his life.
Eventually, the the four manage to humiliate Melvin to the point where he jumps out of a second story window at the health club, and into a barrel of toxic waste conveniently sitting open on a flatbed truck in front of the club. The toxic waste sets Melvin on fire, but also transforms him into a super-sized superhero/vigilante with a delightful voice.
- Look for future Oscar-winner Marisa Tomei as an extra (coming out of a shower)
- Two less successful sequels, The Toxic Avenger Part II and The Toxic Avenger Part III: The Last Temptation of Toxie, were filmed as one. Director Lloyd Kaufman realized that he had shot far too much footage for one film and re-edited it into two.
- A third independent sequel was also released, titled Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV.
- An animated children's TV series spin-off, Toxic Crusaders, featured Toxie as the leader of a team of mutated superheroes who fought against evil alien polluters. The cartoon series was short-lived and quickly cancelled.
- New Line Cinema had planned a live-action film based on the cartoon, but the project was never produced.
- In 2019, it was announced that Legendary Entertainment would be producing a reboot of the film, with original creators Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz of Troma Entertainment serving as producers, and Macon Blair serving as writer and director.
Rate - Follow - Like - Subscribe - Share - Connect
Social handles - Instagram - @wastelandsradioshow Facebook- @wastelandsradioshow Web- www.wastelands.com.au
Episodes new and old can be found on Stitcher Radio, TuneIn, Mixcloud, Spotify, Apple Podcasts. Just search Wastelands Radio Show.